Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 90 mins
- 3 pounds kohlrabi , (5-6 medium), trimmed, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced smoked ham, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black or white pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Put a large pot of water on to boil. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or similar-size shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook kohlrabi in the boiling water until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1 cup milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk flour and the remaining 1/3 cup milk in a small bowl to make a smooth paste; stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in ham and cheese. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Distribute the cooked kohlrabi in the prepared dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the top, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake the gratin until bubbling and golden on top, 30 to 40 minutes.
Nutrition Information per Serving
140 calories; 3 g fat ( 1 g sat , 1 g mono ); 13 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 9 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 814 mg potassium.
Share this Post